What is Functional Testing?
Doctors use pathology tests to diagnose disease and to monitor treatment in patients. They are a critical tool in the practice of medicine.
Functional testing is different to normal pathology testing, because it allows us to understand how your body is functioning. It does not replace pathology testing.
People are often frustrated because they are not feeling well or are experiencing certain symptoms, yet all the tests that their doctor has ordered have come back as “normal” and there is nothing that their doctor can do for them medically.
By testing upstream, functional tests can help us understand how well your body is performing it’s daily functions. Often a symptom presents before a disease can be diagnosed because the body is not functioning as well as it should be.
When to consider Functional Testing
- You have unresolved, unexplained health issues
- You have exhausted medical testing and still do not have any answers
- You want to optimize your health and well-being
- You want to monitor how your supplements and lifestyle changes are working in your body
- You have serious health issues and want to address them upstream
- You want to understand what is going on at a cellular and biochemical level in your body and how these complex systems work together
- You want to understand your unique genetic make up and how to make decisions that will optimize your health
- You want to be healthy and well, because your body is functioning well, not just have your symptoms managed
- You want to provide your body with exactly what it needs, based on the results provided by the tests
- You want to test your body for toxins and pathogens that are not traditionally tested for by pathology laboratories
- You don’t simply accept that pharmaceutical drugs are the only solution to disease
Conditions suited for functional testing
- Unexplained infertility and hormonal imbalance
- Irritable bowel syndrome and digestive difficulties
- Autoimmune conditions
- Anxiety and stress and sleep difficulties
- Neurological conditions
- Immune system dysfunction
- Unexplained weight issues
- Metabolic dysfunction
Functional tests can be ordered after a full consultation and evaluation has allowed us to decide the best options for you.