For a while now, we have opted to make pizza at home rather than get takeaways. We just can’t justify what the take-away industry charges for what is really sub-standard food.
I have perfected the home-made pizza, using premade bases, pizza sauce, a pizza cheese mix and a variety of toppings.
The best part about eating keto, is that with the right base, you do not have to give up this particular fun food! In fact, you can create a much healthier version of pizza than you would ever be able to buy from a take-away vendor and at a much better price too.
I used the Home St. Keto Pizza Bases by Bakeworks. These bases provide a low 5.6 grams of carbohydrate and a healthy 8.6 grams of fibre per serve. They are not made with cauliflower, so give a real pizza base consistency. The bases come in packs of two and can be frozen once opened (just wrap them up tightly).
Because of the higher fibre content, the pizzas are very filling, which may make it difficult to finish, meaning that there will be a slice or three for breakfast in the morning!
When purchasing your bases, make sure to read the ingredients list. I came across a brand that had “low carb pizza base” splashed all over the packaging, but on closer inspection, they were still made from wheat flour and not much lower in carbs than a traditional base. Always go for the lowest possible carbohydrate content.
The best part about making your own pizza is that you get to decide what fillings you want – as long as they are on the keto list! My favourite is bacon, red capsicum and avo, which I have used in the recipe below, but please do not be limited by my choices,
Nothing beats a slice of hot pizza – enjoy!
- Pizza Stone
- 1 Keto pizza base Bought
- 3-4 tbsp Pizza sauce or Tomato paste
- 1/2 Red capsicum
- 1/2 cup Bacon bits Fried
- 2 handfuls Pizza cheese mix You can also use mozerella cheese
- 1 sprinkle Oregano
- 1/2 Avocado Sliced
- Place the pizza stone in a cold oven and preheat to 200
- Spread the pizza sauce around the pizza base, adding more as needed and covering the entire surface of the base
- Add the filling ingredients
- Cover the ingredients with the cheese and sprinkle of oregano
- Place onto the hot pizza stone and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Watch that it doesn't burn – the base must just be starting to crisp
- Remove from the oven and slice into wedges. Add the avo slices.
- parma ham and fresh rocket
- basil leaves
- chicken, salami, beef strips